All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have so numerous new techniques and clinical advancements emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the opportunity to lower or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by elegant ads about a particular laser center. Pick the physician, not the laser. Discover out who will really do your treatment, then ask about look at these guys that physician's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Pick a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional does not know can harm you.
Ask for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician won't inform you, discover another one.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are required to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating space. Make certain that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute. The potential savings are not worth the threat of getting less than professional care!
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. Each client gets a somewhat different result. The finest surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard anchor sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 approximately, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting till the new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the benefits: for most people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of millions of individuals around the world.